The little dude is making this lunch thing way too easy for me. No complaints! Yesterday he took burger bites again. I didn’t even make fries. He took rotini instead along with grapes. How easy is that? Then he announced that he wants to take pizza the rest of this week. Hmmm. O…K? He couldn’t decide a vegetable, so I made it easy and put a hefty dose of spinach in the pizza crust. Here’s the potentially embarrassing part….tofurky. I think I bought the pepperoni once as an attempt at a “treat”. I’ll admit it’s actually not that bad. It’s a little too heavy on the fake smoky flavor for me, but whatever. Anyway, the little guy randomly asked me to buy some. Alrighty. Now we’ve got spinach dough, tofu pepperoni, and another of his little inventions coconut “cheese”. I was using coconut in an Indian recipe once, and he thought it was great fun to sprinkle it on his pizza like cheese. Go for it! I guess I can relax the rest of the week. I already made enough dough and sauce. We’ve got topping options if he happens to change his mind, so it looks like we’re all good!
- 12 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Thaw spinach and squeeze as much water out using a kitchen towel or cloth napkin.
- Add flours, spinach, yeast, salt, and olive oil to mixing bowl. Turn mixer on low to begin to incorporate ingredients. Slowly drizzle warm water while the mixer is on. Mix and knead for a few minutes until the dough forms a ball that is not too sticky.
- If dough is too sticky add a tablespoon of flour at a time until the dough forms a smooth ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel for about an hour.
This dough is enough for 2 full size pizzas. I divided this into 8 portions for personal size pizzas. The pizzas can be baked on a pizza stone, but I usually do them stove top in a non-stick pan. Cook on medium low with a lid until the dough is cooked and the bottom is browned. Fast and easy. No preheating and hot oven. If there is extra dough I’ll divide it further and make quick naan style bread for hummus snacks.
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-4 cloves garlic (to taste)
- herbs (1 tsp dried oregano or basil, or fresh herbs of choice like thyme, oregano, basil, tarragon)
- Add garlic to food processor and whiz to mince. Add all other ingredients. Whiz until smooth.
I used a sprig of thyme and about a tablespoon of fresh tarragon in this batch. This can be cooked before whizzing if preferred. Sometimes I do, just depends on my mood.
The pepperoni is Tofurky. The coconut is an unsweetened variety that I get at the Indian Grocer. I’m sure it’s probably available anywhere.Tags: easy lunch, kid food, pizza, recipe, vegan, vegetarian