Tofu Prep for Thai
Author: Next Good Meal
- 14 oz pkg extra firm tofu
- 2 TB rice wine vinegar
- 2 TB low sodium soy sauce
- Divide tofu into slices or cubes. Lay pieces onto a clean towel. Cover with another clean towel. (or paper towels)
- Add weight to the top. Suggestion: Roasting pan and heavy items from pantry like cans or bags of flour.
- Allow to press for approximately 2 hours.
- Add pieces to a a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle with vinegar and soy sauce. Cover and put in the fridge. Allow to marinate for at least an hour or until most of the liquid is absorbed. (Can be left overnight.)
- Heat pan to medium high. Spray or rub with small amount of oil. Saute tofu until lightly golden brown.
- Add to recipes or store in fridge until needed.
The 14 oz package of extra firm tofu is approximately 4 servings. I start by slicing it into 4 equal pieces. Sometimes I leave it at that before pressing. Sometimes I slice those 4 pieces in half again. Sometimes I cube it into small bites. The point is to press some of the liquid from the tofu and then add back some flavor. I do a saute step before adding to a recipe because I like the firmer texture that results. I use this in all sorts of curry and stir fry recipes.
One of my next projects will be to find a good marinade for Italian style dishes….Tags: preparing tofu, recipe, thai, tofu