Roasted eggplant is gorgeous. And delicious. 🙂 It’s not something that is always in the front of my mind, but eggplant is growing on me. The favorite use these days is roasted eggplant in calzones. The 2yo assistant helped me make these little mini calzones, and he had a blast. I used a whole wheat dough, roasted eggplant puree, tofu pressed and marinated in some tomato juice, and a marinara sauce on the side.
- whole wheat dough
- 4 eggplants
- 12 cloves garlic
- 6 oz tofu
- ¼ cup tomato juice
- 2 TB lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise. Spray or rub lightly with oil the eggplants and unpeeled garlic cloves. Add to roasting pan and cook 45 minutes.
- Scoop flesh of eggplants and remove peel from garlic cloves. Puree with seasonings. (optional: splash of lemon juice and dollop of tahini)
- Press tofu. Cut into small bite sized pieces. Marinate in tomato juice, lemon juice, salt, and pepper for at least 1 hour. Optional: Saute in a hot pan for a few minutes until lightly golden.
- Preheat oven and pizza stone to highest setting, usually 550.
- Divide dough into 1 slice portions. (If making a whole recipe of any dough on this sight, divide into 16 balls.) Roll or press each portion into a thin circle. Add 2-3 TB eggplant puree and 5-6 bite size pieces of tofu to one half of the dough. Fold over and crimp edges.
- Place calzones on pizza stone. Make a few slices in the top.
- Bake approximately 7 minutes until golden brown.
- This will make 16 mini calzones.
We didn’t make a full batch. We used dough leftover in the fridge and cooked a few to have in the fridge for quick and easy meals. These also freeze nicely. Tags: calzone, eggplant, marinara, pizza, tofu, vegan, vegetarian