I was going to tackle fried green tomatoes as a side dish for this, but a stubborn little one stayed up past his bedtime and sucked my motivation. So… cherry tomatoes made into a salad with leftover bread croutons it was. I can’t say that I’m disappointed. It was probably a much more delicious result than what I intended. I love when that happens.
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 small head of garlic peeled and minced
- 3 cups fresh purple hull peas
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to a hot dry pot. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Add splashes of vegetable stock to avoid sticking. Add all other ingredients. Stock should cover beans by about an inch.
- Cover and simmer for an hour. Uncover. Can be simmered indefinitely for a slow-cooked taste, or served immediately if desired tenderness.
- Serve over whole grain rice or cornbread.
- 2 servings whole grain french bread, cut and prepared as croutons
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss ingredients together and serve.
Tags: peas, plant based, recipe, tomatoes