Another creamy dreamy Thai meal with loads of flavor, color, and veg. Delicious!!!
- 1 TB hot oil (or plain veg oil)
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 handfuls snow peas
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 2 servings whole grain brown sushi rice, prepared according to directions
- 2 TB rice wine vinegar
- 1 bunch chopped kale (2-3 big handfuls)
- soy sauce to taste
- ½ red onion diced large
- Heat a wok and a large skillet. Add oil to each.
- In the skillet add red onion to saute on medium until tender. In the wok add ginger and garlic to stir fry for a couple minutes. Add mushrooms to the wok, stir fry a couple minutes more. Add snow peas to wok, stir fry a couple minutes until bright green and still crisp. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and soy sauce to the wok. Stir and allow to bubble for just a couple minutes. Pull off heat.
- Once mushrooms are added to wok, that's a good time to check onions in skillet for tenderness. Add rice, rice wine vinegar, and kale. Toss to incorporate. Cover and steam while tending to wok for a few minutes.
- Serve rice and mushrooms/snow peas side by side on the plate.
- Add soy sauce and hot pepper to taste.
I was disappointed not to find great looking kale this day. I actually used parsley in the rice instead along with a small amount of cilantro. It would have been just fine, but I added WAY too much parsley. Stick with kale or wait until another day. Live and learn.
I prepare everything for this recipe ahead of time and have it ready in separate little bowls. Dishes galore! (bowls for minced garlic/ginger, coconut milk/soy sauce/fish sauce, onion, mushrooms, peas, kale) Otherwise there is just too much going on at the same time to get the timing right. It goes fast.Tags: coconut milk, cooking, kale, mushrooms, recipe, rice wine vinegar, snow peas, sushi rice, vegetarian, whole grains