Oh yum. Dizzle randomly picked this out of a new cookbook. Love it! So simple I can’t even stand it. I made it exactly from the recipe since it was my first time. Winner. I’ll definitely do this again and also use the technique for other type beans.
This is almost exactly from Forks Over Knives….
- 1½ cup lentils
- 5 cups water
- 3 large onions diced
- ¾ cup whole grain basmati rice
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add lentils to a pot with the water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45-50 minutes until tender.
- Prepare rice according to instructions.
- Heat a heavy pan over high heat. Add onions. Cook while stirring frequently for 10 minutes. Add water or stock as needed by small amounts to prevent sticking. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking until browned, another 10 minutes. Add spices.
- Add lentils and rice to pan. Stir to combine.
Tags: lentils, mujadara, onions, recipe, rice