I’ve made tofu cream in the recent past. I didn’t need as much this time, so I basically just halved the recipe. This is great as a nutritious substitute for things like sour cream, but my fave is using it instead of ricotta in calzones. (I had a dollop on top of a white bean tomato soup for lunch. Tasty!)
- 7 oz extra firm tofu (1/2 package)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2-3 TB lemon juice
- salt to taste (~ ¼ tsp)
- Whiz all ingredients together in food processor until smooth.
I decided to make “mini” calzones instead of the big guys. The amount of dough is equivalent to 1 slice of pizza. I used the tomato dough that we made earlier this week. Because the dough was so flavorful we kept it simple on the inside. Some were plain with just tofu cream. Some had mushrooms and tomato sauce along with tofu cream. Delish! These would freeze nicely and be easy to reheat.
- Preheat oven to highest heat (usually 550) along with pizza stone for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Press or roll dough into thin circle. Top half with 2-3 tablespoons of the tofu cream. Add any other ingredients of choice, being careful not to over-stuff.
- Fold dough over. Crimp edges to form a seal. Make a couple small slits in the top of the dough before baking.
- Place calzones on pizza stone. Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are beginning to brown.
- If using a baking pan instead of a pizza stone... Reduce heat to 450. Baking time will be longer, approximately 15-20 minutes. Check for the same light browning around the edges.