This is the second day at our new digs in a new city. First dinner was a pasta toss with tomatoes and tons of basil I clipped from plants before we moved. Moving day was chaotic as usual, so we had Thai take-out before leaving town. I noticed a dish on their board…”mango yellow curry w/ sweet basil”. It struck be as something I needed to try. I’ve always thought mango would be way too sweet in a curry, and I wasn’t sure about the texture in a hot dish. It proved to be absolutely delicious. The spicy curry along with extra heat from the pepper paste was a perfect balance.
- 1 red onion diced
- 1½ cups mango chunks
- 1-2 TB yellow curry paste, to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- optional: 1 TB red hot pepper paste
- Garnish: 1-2 sprigs basil and ¼ cup crushed cashews
- Heat pan to medium high. Add onion and cook until beginning to have brown "roasted" bits. Add curry paste, coconut milk, water/stock, mango, and pepper paste. Stir and cook until combined, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve with whole grain rice.
New stove (electric) means I’m back to the drawing board about cooking rice. Grrrr. After 40 minutes today I still had a pot of barely cooked rice and water. Another almost hour later with some adjustments we had sticky jasmine rice with crunchy bits. Not the best, but the curry was still good! Tags: curry, mango, plant based, recipe, thai, vegan