Leftover ingredients sometimes have accidental tasty results. This week’s leftover was leeks. I don’t think I’ve ever made leek soup, and if I did it was obviously not that memorable. This was super simple and perfect for a drab rainy day.
Cost: ~ $0.80 per serving
- 3 leeks sliced (discard dark green section)
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 potato diced
- ¼ cup vermouth
- ½ cup coconut milk (or half & half)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 scallion, greens only chopped (for garnish)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pot. Saute leeks and celery until almost tender, approximately 10 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a low boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Whiz in blender until smooth. Top with cracked black pepper and scallion greens before serving.
Tags: coconut milk, leeks, potato, recipe, vegan, vegetarian