Frittata is basically an open faced omelette and a simple and tasty way to use extra ingredients. Just like pizza, pasta, or risotto, there are infinite possibilities for flavor combos. This one included bacon, potato, kale, caramelized onion, mushrooms, and cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices bacon, cut into matchsticks
- 1 diced onion
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- ~ 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 oz cheese cubed or grated
- 1 potato diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in pan then remove to drain. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook slowly until onions begin to caramelize. In a separate pot cover potatoes with water, add salt, bring to boil and cook approximately 5 minutes. Drain potatoes and add to pan with onions and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until potatoes are slightly golden. Add kale and bacon. Cover and cook until kale is wilted. Beat eggs and pour into pan. Top with cheese. Cover and cook on low until eggs are set and cheese is melted, a few minutes.
- *If using a broiler safe pan, you may also finish the dish after adding eggs and cheese by placing under broiler until done. This will only take a brief time, so watch closely.
- Sprinkle with any extra cheese and a dusting of nutmeg before serving.
Tags: bacon, cheese, cooking, eggs, frittata, kale, mushrooms, potato