I use to make Jamie Oliver’s Empire chicken with Bombay potatoes. The whole meal is just to die for! It took multiple days to prepare, and the recipes were just slightly complicated. Love it. There is a time and place for that for sure. I was happy to remember that I forgot about it lately. (or something like that :)) I decided to simplify the side dish and veg it up a little bit for a regular dinner. Oh so tasty!
- 1 head cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 small potato (or a few fingerlings) cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB black mustard seed
- 1 TB cumin seeds
- 1 TB garam masala
- 1 TB turmeric
- 1 head garlic peeled and rough chopped
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook until they start to sputter. Remove from heat. Stir in masala, turmeric, garlic, and salt. Toss with tomatoes, potatoes, and cauliflower. Add to roasting pan. Cook at 400 for 35-40 minutes.
This would serve 4 as a side or 2 as a main course.
Optional gravy for smothering or dipping…
- 1 red onion diced
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 TB white vinegar
- 1 TB worstershire
- 1 TB oil
- 1 TB flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- optional: dollop of yogurt stirred in right before serving
- Heat oil in pan. Add onion. Saute until tender. Add flour and stir until combined. Add stock and all other ingredients. Bring to bubble. Cook until thickened, a few minutes. Cool slightly. Blend in blender or food processor until smooth.
Tags: cauliflower, cumin seed, garam masala, garlic, indian, mustard seed, potatoes, tomatoes, vegan, vegetarian