Dizzle and the little dude like banana bread, so I gave it another go. There were a few apples in the fruit bowl and bananas in the freezer, so I was prepared. I didn’t freeze the bananas with bread in mind, but I”ll definitely do it again for this purpose. It made it really easy to mash the bananas into a smooth texture for the bread. I needed applesauce, so two small apples simmered for a few minutes and whizzed in the food processor did the trick. This is a really easy recipe. (It’s really close to a recipe from Forks Over Knives with a few tweaks.) The 2yo assistant requested “sweet treats” in it (chocolate chips), so I obliged. 🙂
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 smallish bananas)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups white unbleached flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add soft bananas to mixing bowl. Mix for a minute or so until mashed. Add all wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated. Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix just until incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and mix just until incorporated.
- Add batter to loaf pan lightly sprayed or rubbed with a small amount of oil. Bake 1 hour. (Should be golden around edges and beginning to separate from pan.
- Remove from pan and completely cool on rack before slicing.
I started with 1/2 cup chocolate chips because that was what I had at the end of one bag. It didn’t seem like much, and I almost added more. Once baked it was very chocolate!
Tags: baking, banana, bread, recipe, vegan