Baby boy is in kindergarten! Wow. All day big guy school means school lunch. They do offer a catered “healthy” hot lunch, but for a few reasons we will be packing lunch.
1. The catered option doesn’t include vegan options. Every day includes cheese and/or meat.
2. The catered option is $6 per day. (!) We can do much better than that.
3. We love food, so it’s actually fun for us to plan and prepare lunches
Some days we try and get close to the catered option, and some days we go rogue and do whatever sounds tasty to the little guy. Today’s school lunch was broccoli chicken alfredo. After consulting with the little guy I made brown rice, tofu, and broccoli tossed with soy sauce along with some apple slices. Easy enough!
Tomorrow’s menu item is shepherds pie. I don’t even think we’ll go there. Messy to pack and would be lots of cooking for a tiny meal. We will see….
Approximate cost (because I forgot the exact price of the broccoli) = $1.50
- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, ¼ package
- ¼ cup brown rice, short or long grain
- small handful broccoli florets
- low sodium soy sauce
- Lay tofu on paper towel or clean dish towel. Lay another towel on top of the tofu and put something with weight on top. (ex: heavy cutting board, large pan)
- Follow rice instructions. When rice is almost done cut tofu into bite size squares. Heat a non stick pan to medium high. Spray lightly with oil. Add tofu and saute until light brown. Sprinkle with soy sauce or salt and pepper.
- Once rice is done, remove from heat. Add broccoli and tofu to the pot. Sprinkle with a little soy sauce and stir to combine. Return lid to pot and let sit a few minutes until broccoli is lightly steamed.
- Ready to eat or for a lunch box container!
*Don’t waste money buying low sodium soy sauce!! Save a jar or bottle and make your own using 1/2 regular soy sauce and 1/2 water.
**Prepare the entire package of tofu in this way, and it will be ready for other meals or snackers.Tags: kids, recipe, school lunch, vegan