It was a little hard for me to get motivated to make this dish because it seemed, well…BORING. I finally had it for lunch one day. Yes, it was a little boring to prepare, but it was worth the try. I love the mix of pistachios and sage. So good! I’ll definitely make this again. It’s not only tasty but also pretty. (I used red quinoa to up the pretty factor.) I”ll even put it on the list of potential holiday sides when the time comes. (Getting ahead of myself??)
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- ½ cup red quinoa prepared according to instructions
- 2 oz (2 small palm fulls) pistachios
- 2 TB fresh chopped sage
- 1-2 TB red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Season acorn squash with salt and pepper. Place acorn squash open sides down onto foil or roasting pan. Cook for 30 minutes or more until tender. (depends on size of squash)
- Chop pistachios. Combine with prepared quinoa and sage. Sprinkle with red wine vinegar. Adjust salt & pepper to taste.
- Stuff acorn squash with quinoa mixture.
I used my extra coffee grinder to chop the pistachios, and it worked pretty well. When I chop nuts by hand there tends to be lots of shrapnel. 🙂
This can be done ahead and then easily reheated. Bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes or microwave for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes. I imagine it could probably also be easily frozen and reheated in the same manner once thawed.
Tags: acorn squash, pistchios, quinoa, recipe, sage, vegan, vegetarian